The following section provides the Club Administrator and SMS users with the ability to perform the following actions:
- View the Communications Dashboard
- Send SMS messages and Emails
- View SMS History
- Buy SMS credits
- Generate a Report on SMS History
- Create Address Labels
- Create a Mail Merge
View Communications Dashboard
- Click on 'Communications'. The default page is the Communications Dashboard showing a line graph with the number of SMS sent throughout each month.
- To view the total SMS sent for a particular date use the Start and End Date function provided and click 'Refresh'.
Figure 1 - Communications Dashboard.
Sending SMS Messages and Emails
1. Click on Communications
2. Step 1 - Create your message
a. Type your message into the the message box, select whether its an SMS or Email and select what time you want to send it at (the default is 'now')
b. Click the 'Next' button
3. Step 2 - Select Recipients
a. Select the group/team/committee members you want to send the message to
b. Click the Next button.
4. Step 3 - Confirm Recipients
Figure 2 - Send Message Page.
Figure 3 - Step 3 Confirm Recipients.
- The maximum amount of characters you can send in an SMS is 300 (two SMS messages).
- One SMS is 160 characters, if you go over 160 characters you will be charged for two SMS messages.
- The use of unusual characters in SMS messages can be interpreted by the system as more than one character. If an unusual character is used in an SMS message this can potentially push the character limit over the limit of 160 characters. The sender could then be charged for two SMS messages instead of one.
- Examples of unusual characters are £ @ € # & *
View SMS History
The full history of SMS messages sent through the system from that Club is available on the SMS History page.
This page displays:
- Date SMS was sent.
- Creator - who sent it.
- Message content.
- Scheduled - Indicating whether the message had been scheduled to send at a certain date/time.
- Delivered | Intended - how many of the SMS were delivered against the number it was intended for.
- Debit - indicating how many credits each SMS was.
- Credit - When you purchase credits this indicates the number of credits you purchased.
- Balance - amount of credits remaining each time you send an SMS/purchase credits.
- The 'Remaining Credits' alert appears when you are under the 'Communications' section enabling you to see how many credits you have left in your account.
Figure 4 - SMS History Page
How to Buy SMS Credits
To buy SMS credits -
- Click Communications and select 'Buy SMS Credits'.
- Select the amount you wish to purchase from the Amount drop down list.
- Select an option from the Payment Method drop down list.
- Click submit.
An Invoice is generated for this transaction. The Invoice details all fees associated with the transaction.
If you selected to pay using a Credit or Debit Card, click on the PayPal link to proceed with the payment.
You will then be redirected to Paypal.
Options are provided to pay either with or without a PayPal account.
For Clubs who intend to make repeat purchases, it is recommended that they create a PayPal account where their Credit/Debit Card details will be stored, as it will both simplify and speed-up the process.
SMS Bundles purchased by Credit/Debit card will automatically be added to the account.
If you selected to pay by Cheque, please print a copy of the Invoice screen, write the Invoice number on the back of the cheque and forward both, along with information about the Club to Servasport.
SMS Bundles purchased by Cheque will be added to the account, upon receipt of the cheque. Please allow 3-4 working days for this to occur.
Figure 5 - Buy SMS credits page
To view details of completed Credit/Debit card and Cheque Transactions:
1. Click on Invoices and select Paid Invoices from the drop down list.
2. Click on the date of the relevant invoice to view.
To view details of incomplete invoices (i.e. invoices that have not yet been marked as paid):
1. Click on 'Invoices' and select 'Incomplete Invoices' from the drop down list.
2. Click on the date of an invoice to view.
Figure 6 - Invoices Page
To view details on SMS Costs, click here.
Generate a Report on SMS History
To generate a report on SMS History perform these following steps:
- Go to Communications > SMS History
- Click Export > Word / Excel / PDF
Figure 7 - SMS History Export
Create Address Labels
To create address labels follow these steps:
1. Click Communications --> Address Labels
2. You will be presented with a table of all the groups associated with the Club, select the groups you want address labels for by ticking the radio button in the left most column
3. Click Labels --> All Addresses/Group Addresses
Figure 8 - Address Labels Page and Address Labels Button
Create a Mail Merge
- Output information about your members by going to Communications > Address Labels
- Select the group you want to send letters to by ticking the appropriate radio button
- Click Mail Merge > All Addresses / Group Addresses
Figure 9 - Address Labels Page - Creating a Mail Merge
- Save this file somewhere you will be able to find it easily e.g. your desktop
- Open a new Word document
- Click Mailings > Start Mail Merge > Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard
Figure 10 - Go to the Mail Merge Wizard in a new Microsoft Word document
- A menu will appear on the right hand side (as below), select 'letters' then click 'next' in the bottom right
Figure 11 - Step 1 of the Mail Merge Wizard (MS Word) - select the type of document you are working on. In this case a letter
- You can use templates or you can just create your own letter. If you are creating your own letter, type it out now. Then click 'Next' in the bottom right.
- The title of this menu should be 'Select recipients'(as below), make sure 'use an existing list' is specified.
Figure 12 - Step 3 of the Mail Merge Wizard (MS Word) - select recipients - Use an Existing List
- Then click 'browse', find the location where you seved the address labels file and select it (as below).
Figure 13 - Select Data Source
- Click Next on the next screen
- On the next pop-up click the Connection tab
- Make sure the Data Source Name is Excel Files
- Type in Admin into the Username
- check the check box beside Blank Password
- Click OK
Figure 14 - Data Link Properties
- In the next window, find and select the Excel file that you downloaded from the system
- Click OK
Figure 15 - Select Workbook
- Click Next in the next window
- In the next window type a description and name of your connection (optional)
- Click Finish
- Check the check boxes of the recipients you want to include in your merge
- Click OK
- When asked for the address label type input the make (eg Avery) and the version of the address labels (eg L7161) you have
Figure 16 - Select Recipients
- Your Mail Merge has now been set up
- Click "Next: Write Your Letter" in the bottom right
- Click 'Address block', and 'Greeting line' on the right hand side and whichever other information is needed for your letter.
Figure 17 - Creating your letter - Click More Items to use other fields in the database e.g. name, surname, city etc. throughout your letter
- To view a preview of the letter click on 'Next: preview your letters' in the bottom right.
- To print your letters click on 'Next:complete the merge' then click on 'Print'
To view how to create a mail merge in Microsoft Word 2003 edition, click on the link below: